Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Impetus

It's become fairly obvious to me that my friends and family on Facebook are sick of my constant barrage of links and articles on political themes such as the banking industry, campaign finance reform, healthcare and corruption in government. Judging from the silence in response, I've come to the conclusion that one of two things must be happening here. Either people don't care, or I'm breaking convention by rudely foisting my political leanings onto those who haven't asked for my opinions.

Regarding the latter, it's possible that most people know better than to reveal their views about hot-button issues on a social network. It's possible that I am just oblivious. Given that I come from a long line of boisterous rabble-rousers who have figuratively given the finger to convention for generations, I'd say it's not my fault...it's genetic.

But if the former is true, I have a few things to say. Read a book. Pick up the paper...or download an app for it to your smartphone. Figure out what you believe in and when you do, at the very least, vote. I fear for our nation if the majority of the people don't care.

And so I've decided to start a blog. Another blog. For anybody who cares.

4 comments:

  1. I think we disagree on most political isssues (I gather that from those facebook posts) but I had NO problem with your posts. I would always rather someone was passionate about something even if I don't agree with them than so many of the people that I talk to that don't care or let others make up their mind for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Cheryl! I feel the same way! I even enjoy a scrappy little debate every once-in-a-while. Good-natured, of course.

    I'm still evolving, here, and I've definitely changed my views on a few things when people have given me a solid argument to the contrary.

    It'll be interesting to see what my views are a few years from now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I went checking to see if PollyPI had posted again. (Your blog was the one a friend pointed me to as a motivator to write something other than emails.)

    I know these are older posts, but from the few I peeked at, we share the same disgust with the media and a misinformed voting populace...

    ReplyDelete